Education comes in all forms. At Action Planet we believe that hands on learning is a very important tool to help children get a deeper understanding as to why it is important not to litter and respect the environment.
By participating on a clean up children will learn:
- What happens to the waste when it is left in nature including what decomposes and what doesn’t.
- How to respect nature while caring for it – including indigenous flora and fauna and natural wildlife habitats.
- What to wear to ensure that the children remain safe.
- What is safe to touch and what needs to be reported – such as toxic waste and hypodermic needles.
- How to decide if the collected material needs to go in to the recycling bags or the black bin bags.
- Where the collected materials/ waste gets taken.
- Who is in charge of the waste management systems.
- How to be part of the solution; Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.
Cane Vella the founder of ‘Get Trashed Malta’ a small but mighty environmental educator on our gem Malta was not always as aware and dedicated to his planet. Growing up in Malta recycling was unheard of. As he grew older he grew wings and went to wonder the globe where he was humbled by the diversity of nature. He started to spend most of his time embracing this and he was hungry to know more about the wild animals he encountered. He proceeded to read an Animal Science Degree in Kent and his passion grew stronger. Once he graduated he returned home to Malta and given that Malta was limited in size and resources for wildlife he had to take a closer look to find the species that thrive here. While he did this he realised that the little gem he called home was covered in broken plastics which he knew was not right. When he realized this he knew he had to do something to shine some light on the visions of others. He now works with local NGO’s and the public in various ways to speed up the process of the positive changes we are encountering in our adapting society.
If you would like your school to participate in a clean up, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org